Asthma and Allergy Information and Research (AAIR) is the name for the Leicester Branch of the Midlands Ashtma and Allergy Research Association (MAARA), a Registered Charity with its headquarters at 12 Vernon St, Derby, U.K. Its Medical Advisor is Dr. Martin Stern, Consultant Clinical Immunologist at Leicester General Hospital and Leicester Royal Infirmary.
Snail mail: Asthma & Allergy Research Unit, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK.
Phone: (0) 116 273 5090/8 _______ Fax: (0) 116 273 3647
The objectives of AAIR and those of its parent organisation are to further education and research in asthma and allergic diseases, and it provides support for patients in certain areas.
The study of pollens and fungal spores in the atmosphere which can cause asthma and nasal allergies has been a major activity; MAARA employs two experienced aerobiologists (Julie Corden and Wendy Millington) in Derby, and supports such work (aerobiology) at the Department of Botany at the University of Leicester (John Bailey and a Research Fellow). We also work closely with Ursula Allitt, in Cambridge, UK, on fungal aerobiology. A major current interest is indoor air and indoor airborne fungi, as previous work has almost entirely been done outdoors, whereas our patients spend the overwhelming majority of their time in the indoor and built environment. We have devised an indoor spore sampler which, for the first time, permits indoor airborne fungi and pollens to be studied quantitatively to the standards which are routine for outdoor aerobiology.
Education for patients1) We have patient information Leaflets on:
2) Anaphylaxis prevention and treatment: we provide instruction in allergen avoidance and adrenaline administration at our offices in Leicester, currently at Leicester General Hospital.
3) Lectures to patient groups: Dr Stern is willing to lecture to self-help groups within reasonable reach in the UK on asthma, food allergy including nut allergy, atopic eczema, and other allergy-related subjects.
Education for doctors and other health professionals
1) The above leaflets are available by arrangement. There is likely to be a charge covering our costs for quantities greater than ten leaflets.
2) Videotapes of lectures by top experts are available on loan to individual doctors with a special interest free of charge (we charge for p&p). Some will play on a standard UK VHS video player, but the majority are in the American NTSC format and require a video recorder which is either 'multi-standard' or of the American type. Your Medical Illustration or Audiovisual department may well have such a machine and a few private individuals own them.
3) Lectures to medical groups: Dr Stern is willing to lecture to groups within the UK on the diagnosis and management of anaphylaxis, the important role of allergy in asthma, food allergy including nut allergy, atopic eczema, and other allergy-related subjects.
It was last updated on 12 January 1997
Copyright © 1997 Asthma and Allergy Information and Research