Construction started in 1136 on a Roman site with the 100 foot high keep added in the late 12th century. The keep was half demolished in 1649 after the Civil War. The 18th century barracks that had been added were destroyed in 1914 by naval action.
Photo Laurie Jonas - The Heritage Trail
|On the sea front.|
Scroll down for other photos