Originally an 11th century Norman timbered motte (one of the largest in England), which later contained a square stone tower, overlooking the town and river. A stone shell-keep was then built in 1326. By the mid 16th century it was in a poor state of repair, and took no part in the Civil War. It is surrounded by the remains of the Inner Bailey.
English Heritage, open all year.
|On top of the hill in Totnes.|
Scroll down for other photos