Management of peptic ulcer
H Pylori eradication has a number of problems:
- Eradication regimens are not 100% successful.
- Metronidazole resistance is a significant problem, sub-optimal treatment will increase
this risk and it may increase with poor compliance.
- Treatment regimes are not without their problems e.g. GI intolerance, alcohol
interaction, pseudomembranous colitis.
- Failure to take the full course will result in unsuccessful eradication.
- In patients sensitive to penicillin, the regimen containing clarithromycin may be an
alternative. Other regimens may be found in the BNF (Chapter 1, Section 1.3).
Ulcer maintenance therapy
Bradley Cheek 1999