LINDENHOEK CHALET MILITARY CEMETERY
(CWGC Ref 5/80)
is a village and commune in the Province of West Flanders, about 10 kilometres
South-West of the town of Ypres, with which it is connected by a light railway.
It was the scene of fierce fighting in the latter half of April, 1918, in which
both British and French forces were engaged. Lindenhoek is a hamlet 1 kilometre
South of the village; and on a road going West from Lindenhoek to Kemmel Hill
was the Chalet, beside which this cemetery was made.
earliest burials in the cemetery were made in March, 1915, and units and Field
Ambulances continued to use it until October, 1917. It was enlarged after the
Armistice by the concentration of 130 graves from the battlefields surrounding
Kemmel. It now covers an area of 1,410 square metres; and it contains the graves
of 282 soldiers from the United Kingdom, fifteen from Canada, ten from Australia
and eight from New Zealand, and two German soldiers. The unnamed British graves
number 67, but special memorials are erected to four soldiers from Australia and
two from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them.
cemetery is surrounded by a brick and stone wall. It stands above the road
level, in farming country; and Kemmel Hill and Messines Ridge can be seen from
it, as well as the villages East and South.
The Register records particulars of 248 British and Dominion burials.