is a village and commune in the Province of West Flanders, 3 Km South of Ypres,
between the roads to Messines and Kemmel. The nearest important railway station
is at Ypres.
The "Enclosures" (at one time four in number, but now reduced to three) are immediately North-West of the village, at the junction of the roads to Ypres and Kruisstraathoek. They were originally regimental groups of graves, begun very early in the War and gradually increased until the village and the cemeteries were captured by the enemy (after very heavy fighting) on the 29th April 1918.
VOORMEZELE ENCLOSURES No. 1 and 2 CEMETERY
(CWGC Ref 5/56)
Typical regimental burial ground, No.'s 1 and 2 now treated as one cemetery.
VOORMEZELE ENCLOSURES No. 3 CEMETERY
(CWGC Ref 5/56)
Voormezeele Enclosure No.3, the largest of these burial grounds, was begun by Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in February 1915. Their graves are in Plot III, the other Plots from I to IX are the work of other units, or pairs of units, and include a few graves of October 1918. Plots X to XII are of a more general character. Plots XIII to XVI, containing 1,215 graves, were made after the Armistice by, the concentration of isolated graves and smaller cemeteries, and at the same time the French graves (of April and September, 1918) were removed to a French cemetery. The concentrated graves cover the months from January 1915 to October, 1918, and they include those of many men of the 15th Rants and other units who recaptured this ground early in September 1918.
Enclosure contains the graves of 1,481 soldiers from the United Kingdom, 100
from Canada, eight from Australia, two from New Zealand, one from South Africa,
one whose unit in our forces is not known and one German soldier. The unnamed
graves number 612, and special memorials are erected to twelve soldiers from the
United Kingdom and three from Australia, known or believed to be 'buried among
them. Five other special memorials record the names of soldiers from the United
Kingdom, buried in Pheasant Wood Cemetery, whose graves could not be found on
Enclosure covers an area of 5,772 m2. It is bounded by a brick wall
and stands among houses and gardens.
The Register records particulars of 1,000 War Dead, existing or commemorated in the cemetery.
burial grounds concentrated into Voormezeele Enclosure No.3 included the
F ARM CEMETERY, VOORMEZEELE, two kilometres South-East of the village,
containing the graves of 19 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in June
CHATEAU CEMETERY, VOORMEZEELE, in the grounds of the Chateau, a little West of
the Ypres-Kemmel road. It contained one French grave of January, 1915 and those
of30 soldiers from the United Kingdom (mainly 1st Wilts and H.A.C., who fell in
HARINGHEBEEK CEMETERY, KEMMEL, by the Haringhebeek, West of Vandenberghe Farm, containing the graves of 13 Irish soldiers who fell on the 7th June 1917.
WOOD CEMETERY, VOORMEZEELE, in the North-East corner of the Wood, just South of
the Damstrasse, containing the graves of 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom
who fell in July and August 1917.
BRASSERIE CEMETERY, VLAMERTINGHE, on the Ypres-Dickebusch road, by the
Dickebuschbeek. Here were buried sixteen soldiers from the United Kingdom, one
from Canada and one from New Zealand-, who fell in April, May and October 1918.