The Martyred Village
On the afternoon of June 10th 1944 a German force
from the "Das Reich" division surrounded the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane.
Their mission was to punish the population for the activities of the Resistance
who were harassing the German forces in the area. By the end of the day 642
men, women and children had been murdered and the village destroyed. When the
French leader de Gaulle saw the ruins he decided that the village should be
preserved as a monument to the dead and so it remains today, a very sad place.
click a thumbnail below for other pictures
Oradour is a few miles to the Northwest of Limoges.
Back to Travel Page