Match Report 2001/2002

Bees stung by Linnets determination

Saturday 20th October 2001 : F.A. Carlsberg Vase Round 1

Lymington & New Milton 4, Bridport 0

Having made a shock early exit from this season's F.A. Cup competition, this was the Linnets' opportunity to get back on the cup trail in serious fashion. Facing Western League opposition who were not in the best of league form, despite having eliminated fellow Wessex Leaguers Bournemouth in the previous round of this competition, Lymington & New Milton fielded essentially the side that had put five goals past Swanage a week earlier (with Matt Town and Chris Marwood exchanging places).

The home side's determination was evident from the kick-off as they immediately took the game to their opponents and within five minutes had gained the reward of an early lead when Brett Phillips' pass found Richie Glenister who swiveled before hitting an angled shot wide of the Bridport 'keeper and into the net from about twelve yards out.

Not content to rest on their laurels, L&NM continued to press for further reward and in a spell of considerable pressure, Ross Drew, Gareth Keeping and Paul Gazzard all came close with efforts on the Bees' goal. Glenister then threatened to add a second to his own and his team's tally when the Bridport 'keeper miscued an intended clearance right into his path and the Linnets' striker's first-time shot from well outside the penalty area went only narrowly wide of the target.

It was over half-way through the first half before Bridport managed an attempt on the home goal with a header that went close but having achieved this they then found themselves under pressure again. Both Matt Town and skipper Paul Morris spurned chances before Glenister had another opportunity to increase the lead but a reaction save from the 'keeper and a desperate goal-line clearance by a defender kept him at bay. Still L&NM pressed with the Bees' 'keeper forced to tip over a dangerous cross by James Bailey-Pearce and then Gareth Keeping forced another last ditch clearance by a defender, as somehow the score remained unchanged up to the interval.

Half-Time : L.&N.M. 1, Bridport 0

Lymington & New Milton started the second-half as they had the first and this time it took only a couple of minutes longer before they registered on the scoresheet. Brett Phillips was again the provider as his cross was met by Matt Town, whose deft glancing header was enough to direct the ball over the 'keeper and into the Bridport goal.

With normal service (metaphorically) resumed, the home side continued to enjoy much of the possession and pressured their opponents without achieving any further score. Playing in the 'comfort zone', they could afford to substitute in-form striker Glenister half way through the second period, Scott Metcalf taking his place. Ten minutes later the match was sewn up as Bailey-Pearce made a probing run down the wing before cutting the ball back to Metcalf at the near post. The Linnets' sub. then laid the ball back to Gareth Keeping, who slotted his shot home from just inside the area.

Having introduced Chris Marwood in place of Ross Drew, L&NM then wrapped it all up by adding a fourth goal with minutes remaining. Matt Town won a midfield tussle and laid the ball off to Chris Marwood whose incisive run took him clean into the heart of the Bridport defence from where he unleashed a powerful strike into the roof of the net.

The Linnets can now look forward to a second round tie at home to old rivals Wimborne Town on the 10th November.

Lymington & New Milton : Kearn, Gazzard, Grace, Kemp, Morris, B. Phillips, Keeping [McDonald 80], Drew [Marwood 75], Glenister [Metcalf 65], Town, Bailey-Pearce. Unused subs Pa. Morrell, Spillane.

Match reports on this site are based on those appearing in the New Milton Advertiser & Lymington Times (except where separately credited) with additional material from my own resources where relevant.

  Online with the Linnets © Paul Johns MMI