Match Report 2001/2002

Linnets leave it late to steal the show

Wednesday 26th December 2001 : Jewson Wessex League

Brockenhurst 1, Lymington & New Milton 2

Probably the last thing that the home side wanted coming into this local derby was to be in the middle of a managerial upheaval whilst trying to overturn the record books and register their first win against the Lymington & New Milton club; in nine attempts. Unfortunately for the Badgers however, that was the position they found themselves in, with this traditional Boxing Day fixture almost certainly the last under manager Chris Collinge's control. Coming off the back of a 0-4 home reverse just a few days before, in which the question as to who was actually in charge seemed to overshadow the match, the portents were not good for Brock.

If this fixture had been scheduled a few weeks back things might have been very different. With the Linnets going through an uncharacteristically lean period of form in mid-table and the Badgers peforming well on the back of some wheeling and dealing in the transfer scene, expectations of a home win would have been high indeed. By comparison, Graham Kemp's rebuilding has been based on a much tighter budget although he was able to field Linnets' latest signing, experienced striker Steve Tate, who has been acquired from Newport IoW for an 'undisclosed fee'. Also back in L&NM's colours was Steve Strong, recently returned from work commitments in the U.S.A.

In the end it was a tight game, goal-less in the first half and with very few chances to speak of. However, the home side were caught napping early in the second period when a quickly taken free-kick found Brett Phillips at the far post and he scored with a close range effort to give the Linnets the advantage. The home side fought back and levelled things midway through the half when Taylor converted Parkin's cross. This looked to be enough to earn Brock a point but Lymington & New Milton snatched a dramatic last minute winner when Richie Glenister's cross was met by a spectacular full-length diving header from Leigh Phillips who rocketed the ball past Staples into the net, thus ensuring that the three points went back to Fawcett's Field.

Linnets' player-manager Kemp was pleased with the outcome : "It was a tight game and we did well to come out on top. Leigh's goal was a fantastic finish and he is probably the only one would could have scored it".

Lymington & New Milton : Kearn, Strong, Gazzard, Kemp, Morris, Mooney, B. Phillips, Smith, L. Phillips, Glenister, Tate (Drew 70), Unused subs : Marwood, Keeping.

Match reports on this site are based on those appearing in the New Milton Advertiser & Lymington Times (except where separately credited) with additional material from my own resources where relevant.

  Online with the Linnets © Paul Johns MMI