- The X's that people sometimes put at the end of letters or notes to mean a kiss, actually started back in the 1000's when Lords would sign their names at the end of documents to other important people. It was originally a cross that they would kiss after signing to signify that they were faithful to God and their King. Over the years though, it slanted into the X
- Papaphobia is the fear of Popes
- Multiply 37,037 by any single number (1-9), then multiply that number by 3. Every digit in the answer will be the same as that first single number
- The Academy Award statue is named after a librarian's uncle. One day Margaret Herrick, librarian for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, made a remark that the statue looked like her Uncle Oscar, and the name stuck.
- Nova Scotia is Latin for 'New Scotland.'
- Stressed is Desserts Spelt backwards
- If you
multiply 111,111,111 by 111,111,111 you get
- The term Cop comes from Constable on Patrol. It's from England.
- The collecting of Beer mats is called Tegestology.
- 'Zorro' means 'fox' in Spanish
- Even though it is widely attributed to him Shakespeare never actually used the word 'gadzooks'.
- Karoke means 'empty orchestra' in Japanese.
- In Chinese, the Kentucky Fried Chicken slogan 'finger-lickin' good' came out as 'eat your fingers off.'
- 'Dreamt' is the only English word that ends in the letters 'mt'
- There are only four words in the English language which end in '-dous': tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous
- The word 'Bye' is used in both English and Spanish meaning the same thing
- Pogonophobia: The fear of beards
Chinese, the words crisis and opportunity are the same
infinity charecter on the keyboard is called a
- Good bye came from God bye which came from God be with you. So-long came from the Arabic salaam and the Hebrew shalom
- The word 'nerd' was first coined by Dr. Seuss in 'If I ran the Zoo'
pound sign is called a "octothorp"
Jets, Jet lag was called Boat lag
words racecar and kayak are the same both ways.Thanks
word "monosyllable" actually has five syllables