- Pennsylvania means Penn's woodland.
- It was named in honor of Admiral William Penn,
whose son, William Penn , founded the colony as a
haven for members of the Society of Friends , or
Quakers, and other religious minorities in 1682.
- The state is known as the Quaker State.
- The first street lights in America were installed in Philadelphia around 1757
- The capital city is Harrisburg.
- Philadelphia is its largest city.
- In Frackville, Pennsylvania, a woman filed for divorce because her husband insisted on 'shooting tin cans off of her head with a slingshot.
- Johnny Weismuller, the olympic swimming winner of the 1920s and the most famous TARZAN was born in WINDBER PENNSYLVANIA