Experiments learning about using tag characters on a web page
Monday 11 January 2016
Between the two equal signs below are seven tag characters, used as a markup system representation for a localizable sentence. They are the tag versions of the following characters. :32175; They are only put between the equals signs because at the time of writing they may each possibly not be displayed or may be displayed each as a zero width space.
The fact that that they are there can be found by copying the characters onto the clipboard and pasting into WordPad and then displaying using a font that has visible glyphs for tag characters. One such font is Tags and Emoji 001 in the file TAGEM001.TTF that is available from this webspace.

It is possible that in the future the above sequence of tag characters could be replaced by a display of localized text in the language of the person reading this text if localizable sentences are implemented and the localization facility is switched on.

For compatibility with the encoding ideas mentioned in the following item, copied from the library.htm page of this webspace, ...

Wednesday 21 October 2015

I produced the following document on Monday 19 October 2015.

A preliminary proposal to encode two base characters


... please note that U+E002E TAG FULL STOP is used in the markup version in the place where PANLEX BASE CHARACTER would be in the character version. In the markup version there is a TAG SEMICOLON added at the end.

If the two characters proposed in the above-linked PDF document ever become implemented it is possible that a TAG SEMICOLON would be added at the end of the character version of the encoding of the sequence for a localizable sentence and at the end of the character version of the encoding of the sequence for a PanLex word too. That is different from what is suggested in the above-linked PDF document: adding the TAG SEMICOLON means that more characters would be used, yet decoding could be easier to program as the end of the markup bubble would be detectable from within the markup bubble itself.

Monday 11 January 2016

Earlier today I used this tagtests.htm file, without at the time these subsequent notes, to do some tests.

Last Thursday, 7 January 2016, I felt like trying some creative writing based around the topic of my research, so I started a document in PagePlus X7 and just got writing.

Some of what I wrote last Thursday is relevant to the text in this tagtests.htm file, so I am publishing what I have written so far in the story.

Today I have saved a copy of that text into a new file, applied justification and changed the font. I made a couple of minor changes to the text, and set the properties of the file and then published as a PDF document.

Here is the result.