HOOLE WAR MEMORIAL
Location: on the north side of Hoole Road at SJ418676. Picture.
A square base with chamfered corners, having an inscription tablet on each face. The base rests on three octagonal steps and supports a cross on a square pyramid base. The whole memorial is of sandstone. On the wall behind is a rectangular tablet with the Second World War names.
The memorial was unveiled by Lt-Gen. Sir H.Beauvoir de l'Isle and dedicated
by the Bishop of Chester, on Easter Sunday afternoon, 1923. It was made
by Clegg and Sons of Brook Street, Chester. There were originally 88 names
but there are now 95 from the GreatWar.
The memorial, which is currently in a fairly poor condition, is to be restored soon, including repointing, replacement of decayed stone, resurfacing of the memorial tablet, and highlighting of the incriptions. Good news!
[Chester Standard, June 28th 2001]
South Face (facing the road)
Second World War Memorial
Back to Index
July 1st 2001