15th May 2008
- Link to Why Christianity is false
- Link on External resources on the Resurrection and related matters section to The Empty Tomb Official Companion Web Site of the book with answers to critics.
16th March 2008
- Becoming an atheist. Michael O'Shaughnessy explains the thinking processes that led to his deconversion from devout Catholicism.
- Link to Converts' Corner Where people write in if they have lost their religion (or have been encouraged to come out of the closet) as a result of reading The God Delusion or other Dawkins books. From RichardDawkins.net
23rd May 2007
- Link to The Journey Out …of the fundamentalist wilderness…
9th April 2007
- Victorian hard-core reconverts to Christianity
Prof. Tim Larsen undertook some excellent research on high ranking Victorian members of secular/freethought societies and notable critics of Christianity who nevertheless subsequently became Christians.
From the blurb on the back of Prof. Larsen's book Crisis of Doubt: Honest Faith in Nineteenth-Century England:
"As sceptics, they had read, written about, and lectured on all the latest ideas that served to undermine faith, such as biblical criticism and Darwinism. Nevertheless they went on to judge that faith was more intellectually compelling than doubt and to defend Christian thought in their writings and lectures and in public debates with Secularists."Ed Babinski put Tim Larsen and I in touch. We had some initial emails. Later when Prof. Larsen's book was published I reviewed it and sent my review to Prof. Larsen and he responded appreciatively. Follow this link for details.
- Link to Fraser Valley Ex Christians blog.
- Link to Letters from Leavers
27th November 2006
- Additions to Crazy Stuff from the Bible.
- Link to www.exfundamentalist.blogspot.com - On Leaving Fundamentalist Christianity
In 2005, I finally decided to listen to my rational self and conceded that there may be some truth to my doubts about Christianity. I am now an ex-crhistian, but I don't feel like writing my long deconversion testimony in a single article; Instead, as a therapeutic device, I want to write my thoughts on why I left fundamentalist christianity.
- Link to Former conservative Christian women along with their works that debunk conservative Christianity and/or their conservative Christian experience.
- Link to Out of Christianity
24th August 2006
- Event Announcement:
A weekend intensive for moving beyond religious indoctrination and reclaiming a life of joy, creativity, and connection, led by Marlene Winell, Ph.D., author of Leaving the Fold: a Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion. It will be held from Friday, Oct 13, 7PM to Sunday, Oct 15, 3PM in the Elmwood part of Berkeley, CA.
Authoritarian religious belief systems foster separation from self, others and the world. Recovery requires that these issues be seriously addressed. In addition to discussion, we will use experiential methods including art, guided visualization, movement, and role-play.
15th June 2006
- More resources on Bart Ehrman:
- Bart Ehrman: "Misquoting Jesus" (scroll down to the end of the page for the audio interview). This includes Bart's account of his changing beliefs.
- Bart Ehrman's 'Misquoting Jesus' (includes audio interview)
- Bart Ehrman's 'Lost Christianities' (audio interview)
- Resurrection debate with William Lane Craig
- Bart Ehrman With Jon Stewart (video interview)
28th May 2006
- John Stephen Ku was heavily influenced by the arguments of C.S. Lewis until he read C. S. Lewis and the Search for Rational Religion by the philosopher John Beversluis.
12th May 2006
- Following a comment from a reader that my text was difficult to read on the mottled grey background I have removed the background from the website. If you beg to differ about the readability (or have other stylistic comments) then Thanks.
5th May 2006
- Links to:
- Walk Away from Fundamentalism Support, advice, and community for those who have left or are in the process of leaving fundamentalist Christianity.
- Recovery from the International Churches of Christ (ICC)
- Association of Former Pentecostals Discussion Forums
- Ex-ICC Member's Discussion Forum This forum exists to provide a gathering place for ex-members of the International Churches of Christ, also known as the Boston Movement and the Crossroads Movement. In addition, family and friends of current ICC members are welcome to participate here. Current ICC members are free to read the forum, but are not allowed to post.
25th April 2006
- Bart Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor and Chair of the Department of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Once he was a fundamentalust Christian, seminarian and graduate of the Moody Bible Institute, but became an agnostic during his studies.
27th March 2006
- Links to:
- Debunking Christianity. This Blog has been created for the express purpose of debunking Evangelical Christianity. We are all ex-Christians. Most of us are ex-ministers, and even ex-apologists for the Christian faith..."
- Dennis Diehl was for 26 years a pastor in the Worldwide Church of God. In his articles Dennis addresses the falacies of Fundamentalism and the negative effect it has on the human spirit.
18th February 2006
RELEASE AND RECLAIM:
A weekend intensive for letting go of religious indoctrination and reclaiming your life, led by Marlene Winell, Ph.D., author of Leaving the Fold: a Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion. It will be held MARCH 3, 7PM until SUNDAY, MARCH 4, 3PM in a lovely house on the beach in Rio Del Mar, California.
The effects of authoritarian religious training can last a long time and run deep, seriously impacting your ability to enjoy life. The process of leaving one's faith often creates intense feelings of confusion, grief, anxiety, and anger. Full recovery can be difficult if the issues are not clear and you feel alone in the struggle.
For more information, visit Marlene Winell's website at http://marlenewinell.net .
20th January 2006
- Link to the Blog Debunking Christianity by John W. Loftus, a former Minister, Christian apologist, student of Dr. William Lane Craig and author of From Minister to Honest Doubter: Why I Changed my Mind.
15th September 2005
- Deconversion stories from The Infidel Guy radio show. Note these are mp3 files.
- Robert Price has appeared "the Bible Geek" on The Infidel Guy radio show at
- Dr. Michael Shermer (the Founding Publisher of Skeptic magazine and the Director of the Skeptics Society) describes his deconversion and his spirituality as an atheist.
1st July 2005
- The Naked Emperor. Wayne Adkins explains his personal journey from Bible college student to atheist.
12th June 2005
- Link to How to Escape Religion forum.
2nd June 2005
- Link to Why I’m Not a Christian by Jon Host.
17th May 2005
- Link to a new book From Minister to Honest Doubter: Why I Changed my Mind by John W. Loftus. John has invited people to comment on his book here.
4th April 2005
- Link to Lives of the Unbelievers.
- Asymmetry of conversion ignored. A link to Why is Antony Flew's "conversion to deism" news, but the testimonies of scholars (and entire seminaries) that left behind formerly conservative bible beliefs, not news? by Ed Babinksi.
4th April 2005
- Link to Fundamentalism and Deconversion webring.
27th March 2005
- Link to The Minister Turns Atheist. Joe Holman, a fundamentalist Church of Christ minister for nine years. Amoungst the aims of his website Joe writes that he "wants most of all to let other doubting and hurting religious people (like myself years ago) who are losing their faith know that there is life after religion!"
3rd Febuary 2005
- The Courage to Walk Away: How to Escape From Cults. Includes a big download of deconversion stories (including from "main stream" Christianity) and other resources.
5th November 2004
- Leaving Christianity - a discussion board in the SF Bay area
10th October 2004
- Updated and repaired Book list.
- Link to Losing my religion: thoughts on leaving Christianity by Paul Wright.
24th July 2004
- Link to Winston Wu describes what it's like to combine Christian fundamentalism with mental health problems and how he recovered from them both.
23rd May 2004
- Updated some details including links to excerpts and author websites for Books by (and about) ex-Christians.
18th April 2004
- Link to Former Worldwide Church of God - WWCG WebRing
23rd March 2004
- Links to full collection of Ed Babinski's many well-written and helpful sites!Ed Babinski on Biblical Errancywww.skeptical-christian.net
Creationism vs. Evolutionwww.creation-vs-evolution.us
Fundamentalists AnonymousEd on Christian Historywww.christainhistory.com
Christian Satire, Faith, Politicswww.christainfaith.com
Cool Beans Talk for Cool Kidswww.fufu.us (kid's chat & science)
Ed also has a page on the secular web here.
22nd March 2004
- Next reply from J.P. Holding.
18th March 2004
- Next email in discussion with J.P. Holding.
28th February 2004
- Discussion with J.P. Holding. A number of Christians have challenged me to get into a debate or discussion with J.P. Holding. So when the opportunity naturally arose when I was added to a little discussion list he was on I thought I'd see what happens. So here it is, unfolding in real time from now on - future emails will be added as they are sent and received. The subject is almost entirely the resurrection and the tone is increasingly cordial!
25th February 2004
- From Missionary Bible Translator to Agnostic. Kenneth Daniels gently yet powerfully describes his journey, including insights into the depths of his prayer life as he struggled with doubts and the respectful way he dealt with his critics. Captivating, sincere, detailed, and dramatic! Further articles documenting his views and journey are available here.
7th December 2003
- Link to Starting a Fundamentalists Anonymous Support Group in Your Area
30th November 2003
- At From Young Earth Creationist to Evolutionist Edward T. Babinski describes how he was a YEC-evangelical Christian who turned evolutionist and agnostic. Read his account of the events and knowledge which changed his beliefs forever.
Also see ED B's story from the ex-Christian mailing list archives.
21st October 2003
- Link to Fundamentalists Anonymous. The purpose for Fundamentalists Anonymous is to put people in touch with available resources, and testimonies, of individuals who have abandoned fundamentalism, cults, and religious fanaticism. This project (started October 19, 2003) is designed to index every known testimony of De-Conversion from all religions, that exists on the web - including in-depth details (as much as the person feels comfortable with). The site is operated by Ed Babinski the author of Leaving the Fold, which documented the testimonies of over 30 individuals who abandoned fundamentalism and religious fanaticism.
2nd October 2003
- More Meetups links
1st October 2003
- International Ex-Catholic Meetups. Arrange meetups with other local Ex-Catholics to discuss leaving the Church and what you believe now.
29th September 2003
- Link to ExCatholic - Leaving Roman Catholicism.
9th September 2003
- Feedback on "Possible Candidates for deflating the Asymmetry of Conversion" also...
- An update to Possible Candidates for deflating the Asymmetry of Conversion.
1st September 2003
- Justin Hughes, a fundamentalist British preacher/pastor, asserts the argument from religious experience, fideism, threats of torture, and how easy it is to answer my questions. He refuses to read my final emails and sums up: I condemn and reject your master and all his works in Jesus name. I leave you to your terrible end, very apt for the evil filth you publish against God.
This is a truly spectacular exchange and I apologise for allowing it to languish unpublished for a year!
27th August 2003
- Geza Vermes - Fellow of the British Academy and Prof. Emeritus of Jewish Studies in the University of Oxford. Vermes was a Priest in the Sion Order but left the Priesthood and the Catholic church after his groundbreaking work on the Dead Sea scrolls, no longer considering himself a Christian.
- Link to Raymond Fontaine - former Priest, now Deist.
- Ray Billington - a former Priest, now atheist.
- Other Possible Candidates for Reinflating the Asymmetry of Conversion (!!) You tell me...
26th August 2003
- Link to Pascal Boyer's online lecture Functional Origins of Religious Concepts: Ontological and Strategic Selection in Evolved Minds in book recommendations.
- Possible Candidates for deflating the Asymmetry of Conversion. You tell me...
25th August 2003
- Updated Asymmetry of Conversion with:
1st August 2003
- Ex-Christian.net open forums. Another huge forum for ex-Christians!
28th July 2003
- Reciprocal link to an intelligent and absorbing analysis: The Rejection of Pascal's Wager - A skeptic's guide to Christianity.
"The Central Thesis: The major claims of Christianity are demonstrably untrue and, on balance, it has brought more harm than good to the world."
20th July 2003
- A few more conundrums.
17th July 2003
- In response to the new bit below, Craig Amanyahu writes to tell me he has refuted my claim that the god portrayed in the bible is evil. I go on to (so I believe) demolish any such theodicy and advise Christians to recognise that they worship not a holy and just God, but the cruel invention of ancient peoples - giving them evidence to know that, confront it, and take a long refreshing shower!
25th May 2003
- The bible god admits he performs evil acts.
4th March 2003
- Updated Emails with Jordan.
6th Feb 2003
- Links to:
- Former Creationists. An interesting sideline from Talk Origins. Not all subsequently left Christianity.
- College paper on deconversion.
- Dennis J. Ramsey a member of the Church of the Nazarene for 25 years, felt he was brainwashed and left Christianity to eventually became a self-styled "Akkadian"
19th Jan 2003
- A Guest Discussion. Some people have guest essays, but I've got a discussion between two others :-)
Ed Babinski and Jordan copied me in on a discussion that Ed initiated regarding their respective deconversions/conversions. Since much intriguing material was discussed about the resurrection and only a shortened version is available on Jordan's website I have obtained both Jordan and Ed's permission to post the full discussion. This will be of particular interest to those following the discussion with Jordan I am having on the resurrection. Particularly interesting is the letter Ed wrote to Professor of Philosophy and Apologetics at Liberty University, Dr. Gary Habermas.
- Also of interest to such readers may be my emails with Jordan on scholarly consensus.
9th Jan 2003
- A few conundrums
What was new in 2002?
What was new in 2001?
What was new in 2000?
What was new in 1999?
Leaving Christianity contents | email me