Everything that can be invented has been invented.
- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899
The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better
than a 'C', the idea must be feasible.
- A Yale University management professor in response to student Fred
Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service (Smith went
on to found Federal Express Corp.)
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,
640K ought to be enough for anybody.
- Bill Gates (1955-), in 1981
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.
- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962