The peninsula of Ardnamurchan is the most westerly land-mass of the British mainland. The present name has been variously translated as ‘point of the great seas’, ‘height of the great headland’ or ‘height of the mariners’.
In the seventeenth century the parish was much larger than the present one, reaching from Morar in the north through to Ardgour in the east.
From 1687 Alexander MacDonald (known as Maighister Alasdair) was minister in Kilchoan and Eilean Fhionnan. He was a man of immense physical strength with an equally great scholarly intellect. He walked from his home at Dalilea the thirty miles to Kilchoan in order to preach there.
During the ministry of Kenneth MacCauley in 1761 the old church on the hill above Kilchoan village was built. The church is now a ruined and roofless shell.
Angus McLaine, born on Mull about 1799, was admitted to the parish in 1827. The chief feature of his incumbency was the planning and building of a new church. The ‘new’ church is now almost 170 years old and is the design essentially that proposed by William Burn, an Edinburgh architect, in 1827.
David Stewart, a scholar and theologian, was admitted to the parish in 1844 and erected, at his own expense, a church and schoolhouse at Kilmory, about 5 miles from Kilchoan. David Stewart died in 1860 and is buried beside the front door of the present church in Kilchoan.
Neil MacDonald, a native of North Uist, came to the charge from Tiree in 1926, and was minister until his retirement in 1962. He represented Ardnamurchan on Argyll County Council, and was the first Assessor for Ardnamurchan appointed by the Crofters’ Commission.
In 1977 the church came full circle, with the linking of the charge with Acharacle during the ministry of Andrew MacKenzie. He retired in 1980, to be succeeded by Victor Crawford, who began the church newsletter, and was instrumental in setting up a Restoration Fund and of a committee which organised a variety of events in 1981 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the building of the church.
In January Mr Crawford was called to the parish of Calton Parkhead in Glasgow, and was succeeded by Tom Moffat, the present minister.

The Parish Church of Ardnamurchan is in the village of Kilchoan. The name ‘Kilchoan’ is derived from the Gaelic Cill Chomhghain, meaning Comgan’s cell, or church - that is, a place of retreat or worship. The abbot Comgan is said to have come from Ireland with Kentigern and Fillan in the late seventh/early eighth centuries, eventually settling near Lochalsh in Ross-shire.

(L to R) The late Maggie MacNab, with Margaret Burgess and Joey MacKenzie leaving Kilmory church (see above) on March 18th, 1989 after a service to mark the end of its use as a place of worship.
John Cameron, Session Clerk in Acharacle, can be seen just behind Maggie.