ASHFORD BOWDLER -- archive images
Welcome to our small village of 50 people.
Ashford Bowdler is situated just over 3 miles to the South of Ludlow. It is reached via a short cul-de-sac that is to the west of the busy A49 Shrewsbury to Hereford road. Once away from the main road, the village is a haven of peace - interrupted occasionally by the trains that run on the Shrewsbury to Hereford railway line. The village is surrounded by fields and ends at the parish church of St. Andrews close to the river Teme.
St Andrew's Church
It is believed that St Andrew's Church was founded in 1211 on ground held by the Benedictine Priory of Bromfield.
It lies on a sweeping bend of the river Teme that has the reputation of being one of the fastest flowing rivers in the country during flood conditions. While, originally, the church may not have been so close to the river, today, the foundations of the east wall are, in effect, part of the river bank.
The church is constructed of local sandstone and, as will be seen, consists simply of a nave and chancel. Later additions include the south porch, the oak shingled spire and box pews. Packed in like sardines, 80 people can just be seated. Of particular interest are the blocked up Norman doorways opposite each other in the north and south nave walls. It is said that the main road used to pass through the village and that the doorways were used by pilgrims and travellers passing through and seeking a blessing from the priest on their way.
(If you're needing a B&B in the area then try: www.orchard-barn.co.uk)