BMW 6 Series Page..
6 Series Model Range & Production History
- Aug 1976 Launch of 633CSi.
- Jan 1980 3453cc 635CSi Introduced with sports suspension, metallic paint &
TRX alloy wheels.
- Sept 1980 2788cc 628CSi Introduced into UK.
- Jun 1982 635CSi receives 3430cc engine from 735i.
- Sept 1983 635CSi fitted with standard on-board computer, leather upholstery &
- Jan 1984 628CSi Specification upgrade includes front fog-lamps. metallic paint
& electric sunroof optional.
- Oct 1984 628CSi & 635CSi receive color-keyed interior, electric
optional), sports steering wheel & standard ABS. 635CSi receives upgraded on-board
- Sept 1985 Side repeater indicators on all models, M-technic rear spoiler standard
- Sept 1986 635CSi fitted with sunroof wind deflector. Switchable auto gearbox is a
no cost option.
- May 1987 628CSi Special order only (UK).
- Sept 1987 635CSi gets color-keyed bumpers & spoilers, elipsoidal headlights
& foglights, full leather upholstery (on "highline" designated models), air
conditioning, green tinted glass & memory electric front seats as standard.
- Sept 1989 635CSi Discontinued.
6 Series Model Range
||3210cc SOHC I6 efi
|635CSi ('80 - Jun '82)
||3453cc SOHC I6 efi
||2788cc SOHC I6 efi
|635CSi (post Jun '82)
||3430cc SOHC I6 efi
||3453cc DOHC I6 efi
6 Series Buyers Notes
- Front body work should be checked for stone-chips, rust & evidence of poorly
repaired accident damage.
- Check that service indicator & warning indicators are working as they should.
- Check the fan coupling isn't seized, the Motronic air-flow sensor is working and that
the head gasket is ok.
- Check that there is no black oil smoke, oil leaks on engine, clattering camshaft, noisy
cam chain or worn valvegear.
- Check for worn propshaft bearing, perished hoses, collapsed offside engine mount ( and
subsequent forward tilted engine block & misaligned air intake ).
- Worn or noisy manual gearbox bearings, stiff gearshift action, damaged propshaft/Gearbox
couplings & loose or leaking diff.
- Check for worn steering box and broken mounting bracket to subframe.
- Collapsed front & rear subframe mounting bushes.
The New BMW 6-series
Mail me on my WAP mobile phone
My BMW Info Page
The Yard Center
Back to front page