Clothesline Project/ St. Jude House
SERVICES FOR VICTIMS OF
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT
THE CLOTHESLINE PROJECT
WHAT IS THE CLOTHESLINE PROJECT?
The Clothesline Project is a visual display of shirts with graphic messages designed by women survivors of violence. The shirts hang side by side to "Break the Silence" and bear witness to violence against women. The Clothesline Project seeks to help survivors with the healing process, to educate, document and provide solutions to violence.
HOW SEVERE IS THE PROBLEM OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN?
- Every 7 seconds a woman is battered, every 1 minute a woman is raped, and every day 4 women are murdered.
- The AMA has declared domestic violence an epidemic.
- The most dangerous time for a woman is when she leaves her batterer.
- Nearly 80% of women are raped by men they know.
- 6 out of 10 women who are raped are under 18, 3 out of 10 are under the age of 11.
WHO CAN SEND A SHIRT?
Any woman survivor or friends/family of a woman victim of violence.
Suggested color code:
- White Shirts - women victims who have been died due to domestic violence.
- Blue or Green Shirts - women survivors of incest or child sexual abuse.
- Yellow or Beige Shirts - women survivors of battery or assault.
- Red, Pink, or Orange Shirts - women survivors of rape or sexual assault.
- Purple or Lavender Shirts - women attacked because of their sexual orientation.
WHEN CAN I SEND A SHIRT?
St. Jude House Clothesline Project is an active line and displays shirts throughout the year. Shirts may be sent at any time during the year to 12490 Marshall St., Crown Point, IN 46307
WHO DISPLAYS THE SHIRTS?
- Shirts are displayed in conjunction with conferences on violence.
- Shirts are displayed alone sponsored by special interest groups
- Shirts are displayed at universities, churches, libraries, theaters, colleges, high schools, rallies, hospitals and organizations.
For more information, to set up a display or to send donations, call, Fax or write:
Carrie Ann Swinford
St. Jude House
12490 Marshall St.
Crown Point, IN 46307
(219) 662-7066; Fax (219) 662-7041.
Return to the St. Jude Homepage
This site sponsored by LakeNET, the information connection for Lake County, Indiana.
Last Updated: Friday, May 22, 1998
Contact information for TheTimesOnline.com.