Help for the Iliad Game
- The game is designed to be an interesting and possibly amusing way
of testing your knowledge of Homer's Iliad. Complete novices
might do well to read it first, or to have a copy beside them!
enabled., and to allow scripting windows if your browser asks.
- If you wish - as is likely (it's a long game) - to go offline, make
a drink, have a sleep, and return later, this is the way to do it (It's
slightly complicated, because you can't bookmark a frame: my cunning
system gets round this limitation):-
- Find out the number of the page you have reached. In EXPLORER You
can most easily do this by RIGHT clicking on the page, then looking
at Properties. The properties window has the page title and
number at the top (eg "Iliad Game 2"). Using NETSCAPE You can most easily
do this by RIGHT clicking on the page, and selecting "View Frame Info".
The page number is given in the Frame Info window (eg "Title: Iliad
- Make a note of this page number.
- When you return load the Classics Pages (classicspage.com) in the
normal way. On the main menu select Iliad Game (under Achilles Page).
- When you get back to the game click on the NAVIGATE button on this
bar. From the popup menu, select the page you were last using.
- Click on the the appropriate Page Number and you will be back where
- You can also use this feature to jump forwards or backwards, or to
test yourself on a specific book of the Iliad
- Good luck!
If you don't know an answer, do not despair! You could try looking it
up in your text, but it might be easier to pop up one of the menus next
to this one (Greeks, Trojans, Immortals). All the characters named in
the questions (and answers) are listed here - and you can click on a name
to find out whether the details fit. If utterly desperate, you could try
cheating by using the Navigate button (see above). But this of course
would spoil all the fun! Please
let me know if you meet any problems: it is very hard to be sure there
are no bugs in a program of this size. Many thanks to those who've done
so already! [Updated April 2011]