For background on the history of the Haunted Library, see the following in the G&S Archive: my "Introduction" to The Best of Ghosts & Scholars (1986); "Twenty Years of Ghosts & Scholars" from Formidable Visitants (1999); and my review of David Sutton's On the Fringe for Thirty Years: A History of Horror in the British Small Press.
For Notes on earlier publications, see below.
(1) Ghosts & Scholars (Issue One, unnumbered).
(2) Eye Hath Not Seen: Supernatural Anecdotes from the Reminiscences of Father D. O'Connor: Stories by David G. Rowlands.
(3) More Ghosts & Scholars (i.e. Issue Two)
(4) Ghosts & Scholars 3
(5) Ghosts & Scholars 4
(6) 99 Bridge Street: Stories by William Fairlie Clark.
(7) Ghosts & Scholars 5
(8) Saints & Relics: Stories by Roger Johnson, A.K. Kidd, Darroll Pardoe and David G. Rowlands.
(9) Ghosts & Scholars 6
(10) Hag's Tapestry: Stories by Jessica Amanda Salmonson.
(11) Watch the Birdie: Story by Ramsey Campbell.
(12) Ghosts & Scholars 7
(13) A Graven Image and Other Essex Ghost Stories: Stories by Mary Ann Allen (Rosemary Pardoe), Roger Johnson and David G. Rowlands.
(14) The Best of Ghosts & Scholars: Story selection, published in the USA by Richard Fawcett.
(15) Ghosts & Scholars 8
(16) When the Door is Shut and Other Ghost Stories: Reprint stories from a Cambridge periodical, by 'B' (A.C. Benson?).
(17) An Empty House and Other Stories: Stories by Ron Weighell.
(18) Angles of Coincidence: Rennes le Chateau and the Magdalen Mystery: Non-fiction by Ron Weighell (inspired by an M.R. James letter in The Times).
(19) Ghosts & Scholars 9
(20) Ghosts & Scholars 10
(21) The Moon-Gazer and One Other: Reprint stories from a Cambridge periodical, by 'D.N.J.'.
(22) Binscombe Tales: Stories by John Whitbourn.
(23) Ghosts & Scholars 11
(24) Ghosts & Scholars 12
(25) Harmless Ghosts: Stories by Jessica Amanda Salmonson.
(26) Rollover Night: More Binscombe Tales: Stories by John Whitbourn.
(27) Absences: Charlie Goode's Ghosts: Stories by Steve Rasnic Tem.
(28) Ghosts & Scholars 13
(29) The Reluctant Ghost-Hunter: Stories by Rick Kennett.
(30) The James Gang: A Bibliography of Writers in the M.R. James Tradition
(31) Ghosts & Scholars 14
(32) Spirits of Another Sort: Ghostly Tales of Tompion College: Stories by Alan W. Lear.
(33) Popes & Phantoms: Stories by John Whitbourn.
(34) Ghosts & Scholars 15
(35) Ghosts & Scholars 16
(36) The Ghosts & Scholars Index: Index to G&S 1-15.
(37) Supernatural Pursuits: Parodies by William I.I. Read.
(38) A Binscombe Tale for Christmas: Story by John Whitbourn.
(39) Ghosts & Scholars 17
(40) Ghosts & Scholars 18
(41) The Greater Arcana: Stories by Ron Weighell.
(42) Ghosts & Scholars 19
(43) Ghosts & Scholars 20
(44) A Binscombe Tale for Summer: Story by John Whitbourn.
(45) Ghosts & Scholars 21
(46) Ghosts & Scholars 22
(47) Call of the Tentacle: Parody by William I.I. Read.
(48) Ghosts & Scholars 23
(49) Ghosts & Scholars 24
(50) Ghosts & Scholars 25
(51) Ghosts & Scholars 26
(52) Ghosts & Scholars 27
(53) Ghosts & Scholars 28
(54) The Fenstanton Witch and Others: M.R. James in Ghosts & Scholars
(55) Ghosts & Scholars 29
(56) Ghosts & Scholars 30
(57) Ghosts & Scholars 31
(58) Ghosts & Scholars 32
(59) Ghosts & Scholars 33
(60) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 1
(61) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 2
(62) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 3
(63) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 4
(64) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 5
(65) Occult Sciences: Previously unpublished paper by M.R. James.
(66) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 6
(67) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 7
(68) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 8
(69) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 9
(70) Tales from Lectoure: Previously unpublished talks by M.R. James.
(71) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 10
(72) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 11
(73) A Bibliography of the Writings of M.R. James: Compiled by Rosemary Pardoe.
(74) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 12
(75) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 13
(76) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 14
(77) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 15
(78) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 16
(79) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 17
(80) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 18
(81) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 19
(82) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 20
(83) The Ghosts & Scholars M.R. James Newsletter 21
Additionally, around 1979 the Haunted Library published a poster by Jim Pitts, illustrating "The Mezzotint" (out of print). And since 1996 it has issued a series of postcards, notecards and bookmarks.
The Haunted Library name, as such, was not adopted until 1982. G&S changed from an annual to a twice-yearly schedule in 1993. In 1997, in order to re-timetable the publication dates from February/August to June/December, there were three issues. All publications were/are edited by me (Rosemary Pardoe). David G. Rowlands became G&S assistant editor (fiction) fairly early on, and Steve Duffy joined the 'staff' relatively recently; both are continuing as assistant editors on the G&S M.R. James Newsletter.
M.R. James at Livermere: A Celebration, a booklet released in 1998 to commemorate the unveiling of the M.R. James Plaque in Great Livermere church, was not a Haunted Library publication, although I published it (and co-edited it, with Clive Ward). Nor were the Ghosts & Scholars book (edited by me and Richard Dalby in 1987, Crucible/Equation) and Roger Johnson's excellent Formidable Visitants: A Celebration of M.R. James and Ghosts & Scholars (1999, Pyewacket Press).
The James Gang bibliography (1991) was reprinted, in a revised and partially updated version, in the British Library's 2001 collection Meddling with Ghosts: Stories in the Tradition of M.R. James (selected and introduced by Ramsey Campbell).
What follows is an attempt to list the related (to some extent, at least) publications which I produced prior to starting Ghosts & Scholars and in the early months of its run. I have copies of none of these, so I have had to depend on my memory and on some on-line reference sources such as the British Fanzine Bibliography and the British Library Catalogue. Corrections and additions welcome!
Seagull 1-16: A science fiction (and fantasy) fanzine, first published just before Easter 1969; the final issue appeared in 1971. The first four issues were edited under my maiden name of Rosemary Nicholls (no relation to Stan or Mark!). Some of the later issues were small zines distributed through OMPA, a science fiction APA. Number 13 was called Kadath. Seagull was once memorably (and correctly) described by Greg Pickersgill as "generally worthless ephemera"!
Mallorn 1 (1970): The journal of the Tolkien Society and its very first publication; co-edited with Darroll Pardoe.
Dark Horizons 1-4 (1971-1972): The journal of the British Fantasy Society. I co-founded the BFS with Keith Walker, Phil Spencer, and (shortly after its initial formation) David Sutton.
Wark 1-14 (1974-1979), and the Wark Annual (1980): A review-zine dealing mainly with fantasy and horror/supernatural small press magazines; it also sometimes covered comics-zines and Earth Mysteries/Fortean magazines. Wark originally arose out of my involvement with the British Fantasy Society's fanzine library.
The Great Paxton Witch: A Contemporary Source and Some Folklore (1977): Mostly consisting of a reprint of a contemporary account of this very late witch-scare which happened in Huntingdonshire in 1808-1809.
'Little Gem' Guide to Current Fantasy Fanzines & Semi-prozines (1978): I'm not sure whether this was the exact title or not, but it was a booklet intended to do for fantasy zines what Peter Roberts had done for science fiction zines in his Little Gem Guide to SF Fanzines (begun in 1974).
Cascade (1979?): A portfolio of artwork by Martin Helsdon, accompanying a short fantasy tale by Simon R. Green.
Last altered: March 29, 2012.
Copyright (c) 2012 Rosemary Pardoe
back to top
back to the Ghosts & Scholars Home Page