PHOTOGRAPH: Harry Hawkins, Penrith.
The 'Robin' hangar pictured here stands with a couple of other small buildings; all that remain of Satellite Landing Ground No:9 located just east of Penrith along the A66.
Hornby Hall was SLG No:9, and was ready for use by March 1941. It was parented by RAF 12 MU (Maintenance Unit), Kirkbride, but used initially by 22 MU (RAF Silloth), with the landing of two Vickers Wellington bombers. Further aircraft associated with Hornby Hall were Fairey Battles, Bristol Blenheims, Blackburn Bothas and - of course - the Lockheed Hudson.
The landing-ground closed - officially - in July 1945, after which the site was used to house German Prisoners-of-War.
Home | Contents | Workington | Links | E-Mail