These simple shell scripts are used to download the daily dilbert/ufie comics from the appropriate websites.
- Minor change to the Dilbert script due to a page format change.
- "some time earlier"
- Minor change to the Userfriendly script due to a page format change.
(These c shell scripts are gzipped, please use gunzip or another decompresson tool to install.)
The scripts were developed on FreeBSD 2.2.7, and uses the fetch command supplied in the base operating system. It is probably possible to modify this to use lynx -dump however fetch works perfectly well at the moment. If it ain't broke, etc..
The scripts are called from ppp.linkup script which is part of the User-PPP application for FreeBSD. For other systems please use the appropriate uplink settings/scripts.
- Save the scripts to the local disk .
- Uncompress using gunzip or other compression tool.
- Modify the variables DILROOT, UFROOT and GIFPATH so they're relevant to your system.
- Modify ppp.linkup or appropriate uplink script file to call the scripts when a ppp connection has been made.
- The scripts will dump some really ugly basic status reports to a log file in the DILROOT/UFROOT directories.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
THIS SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING FILES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.
In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages whatsoever,
including without limitation, damages for loss of business profits,
business interruption, loss of business information, or any other loss
arising from the use or inability to use the software.
Contact email@example.com with suggestions.
The script has worked without modification on FreeBSD versions 2.2.7-RELEASE , 3.1-STABLE and 3.3-RELEASE. This is the only documentation available at the moment, but the script is simple enough not to need any. Well, thats my excuse anyway.