Notes on Barford related to Mrs Edith Hadley, by George Hadley shortly before his death in 1929, aged 93 years
Barford at one time used to grow a lot of flax. The last field used for that purpose was "The Heath", owned by Mr Robins of "The Asps" (at the time of writing occupied by a Miss Riley). The field is now called "Footpath Field". Mrs Morris at the Anchor Inn was a linen weaver and used to lay the linen out to bleach in a field at the back of the house. The Anchor Inn (where Mrs Lockwood lived at the time of writing) was at 31, Church Street.
The warehouse (now Dragonyard) (adjoining Mrs Burgess') was a wool warehouse owned by Mr Whitehead who lived in the Red House (now the site of Verdon Place) and was a wool stapler and banker. The Malt House (was occupied by Mrs Howard, then later by Mary Hemmings and now by Ted & Diana Wilmot)) did a great deal of malting and was, at the time of writing, owned by Mr Francis Clarke who was also the last occupant of the field which is now the Church Allotments. It was made into allotments about 1845. The Malt House at the back of the Church (now South of Saint Peter's) also did a big trade. Occupied by Mr T Lee who was also a butcher in High Street and afterwards in the Wellesbourne Road.
There were five Malt Houses in use at one time and six public houses: Mr Harrison's "Bridge Inn" in Bridge Street, "The Red Lion" since renamed "The Joseph Arch", Mr Hadley's "The George Inn" in Bridge Street, Mrs Wilbraham's "The Butcher's Arms" at 4, Wellesbourne Road, Mrs West's "The New Inn" in Bridge Street, "The Lord Nelson" at Harburg's House at 44, Wellesbourne Road, Mr Hammond's "The Royal Oak" at 50, Wellesbourne Road, "The Granville Arms" 52, Wellesbourne Road and Mr Worral's was "The Wheatsheaf" in High Street.
Barford House was once a private boarding school. Mr Hunt's house - Bridge House -was also a boarding school. Ivy House (Judge Harrison-Hall) and Cedar House in Bridge Street, were schools and the latter afterwards became a reading room and coffee tavern and later still the working men's club.
Barford, like most villages, had some stocks which were situated just in front of the Methodist Chapel in Church Street (belonging now to Paul Hunt). The Village Pound was used for stray cattle etc which were kept until claimed. The owner had to pay before they were released. This is now used by Warwick District Council and is next to Verdon Place.
The watermill did a great trade at one time, employing five men in grinding and flour dressing. It was occupied by Oldham's and Dormer. Mr Dormer lived at Watchbury farm house called the Village Farm. Watchbury Hall, owned by Mr Henry Robins was pulled down about 40 years ago. About 1843, Wellesbourne Road was an orchard sold out in lots for building between Mrs Peter's shop (now Singleton's PO and News) and Barford House.
[Back to top]