ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH SHERBOURNE – 150 YEARS! :
At the end of September this year it will be 150 years since the current Church building in Sherbourne was consecrated.
The earlier Church had been closed and demolished after the 24th August 1862 and the foundation stone of the new one was laid on 1st November of that year. The architect of the new one was Sir George Gilbert Scott the famous Victorian architect of the Albert Memorial and St Pancras among other great buildings.
The work was completed in about 2 years and so on 29th September 1864 the new building was consecrated by The Bishop of Worcester. We shall mark the occasion this year with a weekend of events, culminating in a special service of Evensong at which the Bishop of Coventry will be the preacher. (Sunday 28th September at 6pm)
In 1914 the congregation celebrated 50 years by raising money to have electric lighting installed! Interesting to think that for the first 50 years it was candlelight only! Then in 1964, for the centenary, as the wiring was by then becoming too ancient to cope with powerful bulbs the congregation raised the money to have the Church rewired (£350!!)
For some years now we have been looking at improvements we want to make to the facilities and are delighted to have provided a water supply and a small kitchenette to serve refreshments. The real aim, however, is to raise the money to enable us to install a toilet at the Church. This will be a very significant sum and we have begun to apply for grants but the example of our predecessors encourages us to think of any ways we can raise some of the necessary money. So do come and join us in our celebrations and if you can help with our project in any way that would be great.
When Miss Louisa Ann Ryland decided to build a new church on the existing site she asked the well know Victorian architect, George Gilbert Scott, to produce designs, plans and samples of materials etc for her perusal. Scott was anxious to be awarded the commision so in addition he had an oak model made of the in-tended design. This model exists in the Warwickshire County Council’s Heritage and Cultural museum stores in Warwick and special permission has been granted for the model to be displayed at the 150 th anniversary service of the dedication of the church at evensong on Sunday 28th September. The service will be conducted by the Bishop of Coventry, The Rt. Revd. Christopher Cocksworth. Our grateful thanks to the Warwickshire County Council’s museum department and Oldhams Removals for their assistance in this matter
LIST OF EVENTS:
Friday 26th September
An Evening with Kathryn Ellis, soprano & friends. At
7:30pm, tickets £7.50 includes refreshments
Saturday 27th September
Church open 10:00am.
Historical Displays, Cake Sale, Silent Auction & Raffle
Sunday 28th September
Church Open 10:00am
Historical Displays, Silent Auction & Raffle
Festal Evensong, 6:00pm
With the Lord Bishop of Coventry, Rt Rev’d Dr Christopher Cocksworth
Music led by St Mary’s Scholars Choir from the Collegiate Church of St Mary’s Warwick.
Proceeds of this weekend to Church General Funds
Click for more details
Revd David Jessett
[Back to top]