History > Barford War memorial > Debt of Honour Register

 

Reminiscences 

If you have any information to add to this particular page, or would like to contribute to our History pages, please contact us.

 

Home  What's new  What's on  News Now!  Community  Sherbourne  Wasperton  Church  Local Business  History  Parish Plan  Nature  People  PictureGallery  ByPass  Recreation  Travel  Features  SmallAds  Genealogy  Guestbook  ContactUs  SiteSearch  SiteMap  Policies  Links 

  Wreaths at the Memorial
   


In Memory of FREDERICK PILKINGTON
Private
14800
4th Bn., The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)

who died on
Tuesday 16 April 1918.

Additional Information:
14800 Private, 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion, Kings (Liverpool) Regiment. 98th Brigade, 33rd Division. Killed in action during the Flanders Offensive on Tuesday 16 April 1918. He was born in Warwick, he resided in Barford and he enlisted in Southport, Lancashire. He arrived in France on Saturday 24 July 1915. Commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial, Comines­ Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium. He is also commemorated on a Memorial Screen, St. Peter’s Church, Barford. Holder of 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.

Cemetery:
PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL Comines-Wanieton, Hainaut, Belgium
Grave or Reference Panel Number: Panel 3


Location:
The Ploegsteert Memorial stands in Berks Cemetery Extension, which is located 12.5 kilometres south of Ypres town centre, on the N365 leading from Ypres to Mesen (Messines), Ploegsteert and on to Armentieres. From Ypres town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ypres ring road. The road name then changes to the Ruselseweg (N336). 3.5 kilometres along the N336 lies a fork junction with the N365.
The N365, which forms the right hand fork, leads to the town of Mesen.

The Cemetery lies 3 kilometres beyond Mesen on the right hand side of the N365, and opposite Hyde Park Corner Royal Berks Cemetery. The sounding of the Last Post takes place at the Ploegsteert Memorial on the first Friday of every month at 7 p.m.

The Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with. In some instances where a casualty is recorded as attached to another Regiment, his name may alternatively appear within their Regimental Panels. Please refer to the on-site Memorial Register Introduction to determine the alternative panel numbers if you do not find the name within the quoted Panels.


Historical Information:
The PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL commemorates more than 11,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in this sector during the First World War and have no known grave.

The memorial serves the area from the line Caestre-Dranoutre-Warneton to the north, to Haverskerque-Estaires-Fournes to the south, includ-ing the towns of Hazebrouck, Merville, Bailleul and Armentieres, the Forest of Nieppe, and Ploegsteert Wood. The original intention had been to erect the memorial in Lille.

Those commemorated by the memorial did not die in major offensives, such as those which took place around Ypres to the north, or Loos to the south. Most were killed in the course of the day-to-day trench warfare which characterised this part of the line, or in small scale set engagements, usually carried out in support of the major attacks taking place elsewhere. BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION, in which the memorial stands, was begun in June 1916 and used continuously until September 1917.

At the Armistice, the extension comprised Plot I only, but Plots II and III were added in 1930 when graves were brought in from Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery and Extension, about 1 kilometre to the north-west, when it was established that these sites could not be acquired in perpetuity. Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery was used by fighting units from November 1914 to August 1916. The extension was begun in May 1916 and used until March 1918.

Together, the Rosenberg Chateau cemetery and extension were sometimes referred to as ‘Red Lodge’. Berks Cemetery Extension now contains 876 First World War burials.

HYDE PARK CORNER (ROYAL BERKS) CEMETERY is separated from Berks Cemetery Extension by a road. It was begun in April 1915 by the 1st~4th Royal Berkshire Regiment and was used at intervals until November 1917. Hyde Park Corner was a road junction to the north of Ploegsteert Wood. Hill 63 was to the north-west and nearby were the ‘Catacombs’, deep shelters capable of holding two battalions, which were used from Novem-ber 1916 onwards. The cemetery contains 83 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war graves. The cemetery, cemetery extension and memorial were designed by H Chalton Bradshaw, with sculpture by Gilbert Ledward.

Regiment, Corps etc.

King’s (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalion/etc.

4th Battalion.

Surname

PILKINGTON

Christian Name(s)

Frederick

Born

Warwick

Enlisted

Southport, Lancs

Residence

Barford

Died Date

16/04/18

Rank

PRIVATE

Number

14800

Died How

Killed in action

Theatre of War

France & Flanders

Supplementary notes

 

[Back to top]

[Next]

[Previous]