History > Barford War memorial > Debt of Honour Register



If you have any information to add to this particular page, or would like to contribute to our History pages, please contact us.


Home  What's new  What's on  Community  Sherbourne  Wasperton  Church  Picture Gallery  Travel  Local Business  History  Parish Plan  Nature  People  ByPass  Recreation  Features  SmallAds  Genealogy  Guestbook  ContactUs  SiteSearch  SiteMap  Policies  Links 

  Wreaths at the Memorial

Lance Corporal
“E” Siege Park, Army Service Corps

who died on
Thursday 25 April 1918. Age 22.

Additional Information:
DM2/154392 Lance Corporal, “E” Siege Park, Royal Army Service Corps. Killed in action at Lyssenthoek on Thursday 25 April 1918. Age 22. The eldest son of William and Hannah Carter, of Church Street, Barford. He was born in Derby and he enlisted in Coventry. He served overseas at some time after Saturday 1 January 1916. Buried in the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. He is also commemorated on a Memorial Screen, St. Peter’s Church, Barford. Holder of British War Medal, Victory Medal.

LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Grave or Reference Panel Number: XXVII. H. 6.

Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery is located 12 kilometres west of leper town centre, on the Boescheepseweg, a road leading from the N308 connecting leper to Popennge.

From leper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308) is reached via Elverdingsestraat, then over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing.

On reaching Poperinge, the N308 joins the left hand turning onto the R33, Poperinge ring road. The R33 ring continues to the left hand junction with the N38 Frans- Vlaanderenweg. 800 metres along the N3 8 lies the left hand turning onto Lenestraat. The next immediate right hand turning leads onto Boescheepseweg.

The cemetery itself is located 2 kilometres along Boescheepseweg on the fight hand side of the road.

Historical Information:
During the First World War, the village of Lissenthoek was situated on the main communication line between the Allied military bases in the rear and the Ypres battlefields. Close to the Front, but out of the extreme range of most German field artillery, it became a natural place to establish casualty clearing stations.

The cemetery was first used by the French 15th Hopital D’Evacuation and in June 1915, it began to be used by casualty clearing stations of the Commonwealth forces. From April to August 1918, the casualty clearing stations fell back before the German advance and field ambulances (including a French ambulance) took their places.

The cemetery contains 9,901 Commonwealth burt-als of the First World War, a few of which were brought in from the battlefields after the Armistice, and 883 war graves of other nationalities, mostly French and German. It is the second largest Commonwealth cemetery in Belgium. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Regiment, Corps etc.

Royal Army Service Corps




Christian Name(s)








Died Date






Died How

Killed in action

Theatre of War

France & Flanders

Supplementary notes


[Back to top]